I transformed my blog into a progressive web app, this has taken awhile only some minutes, in fact, this is definitely one benefit of PWA.
What is a Progressive Web App?
The PWA is a normal website hosted in a web server that works similarly to a native mobile app, let’s see the advantages:
- Reliable – it works perfectly also offline.
- Home screen – you can add the PWA in the home screen like a native app.
- Push notification – are supported.
- Web development skills – You can reuse your web development expertise without learning new languages like swift or java.
- Responsive – fits perfectly everywhere: desktop, mobile, tablet.
The PWA is a really good alternative to the native app and its popularity is growing fast, just think that also the high-tech giants Microsoft, Google, Apple…. are investing in this kind of new technology.
What I have to do to transform a website or create a PWA?
There are several requirements that I listed below:
- The website must be served by a valid secure HTTPS connection
- JSON manifest hosted in the root of the website
Finally, this is the icon of my blog how looks like in my Android home screen: